Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2008

Urban Cowboy

As Tom and I looked at the route and the ride for today at the hotel last night we both realized that it would be over 90 miles of mostly urban riding. We agreed that would just be too much. So this morning we got up early and went out to breakfast at IHOP. Then we went back to the hotel and got ready for the ride. We got in the car and drove 101 to Ventura, CA. I started the ride on Harbor Rd. in Ventura and continued from there to Santa Monica, a total of 62 miles.

Almost half of the ride was through Malibu along the Pacific Coast Highway. There was a nice wide shoulder but unfortunately there were so many beaches and so many people using the beaches, and so many workers parked outside of fancy Malibu homes doing painting and plumbing and landscaping, that most of the time there was no shoulder left. I felt like an "urban cowboy" as I weaved my way in and out of "herds" of traffic on my "trusty steed" Madone. It was really rather dangerous, now that I think about it. But as I have every other day of the ride, I prayed before leaving and frequently during the ride, and God answered prayers and kept me safe.

Finally at Wil Rogers State Beach I was able to get off Highway 1 and onto a bike path that ran along the beach. I stopped and shot this typical scene, with umbrellas everywhere like a crop of blue mushrooms on the beach.

When it came time to exit to Santa Monica, I was thankful that Tom had told me about a pedestrian bridge over CA 1. It was much easier than trying to fight my way through traffic into the left turn lane to get onto the Calfornia Incline and up to Santa Monica.

In Santa Monica I rode about three miles through a quiet, pretty residential neighborhood in the bright sunshine. It was the best part of the ride the whole day. I was tired of playing "urban cowboy." It worked out well that we shortened the ride, since the miles I did were hard enough, and we got in early, about 2 PM. That was a blessing because when I got to the hotel I realzed that my back wheel was binding because it was out of true. Fortunately we found a Trek dealer only three blocks from the hotel who was willing to true my wheel right away. By 3 PM I was riding my bike home from the bike shop in A-1 condition.

As I rode through Malibu today and saw the numerous multi-million dollar mansions, some of which undoubtedly belonged to celebrities, others to various wealthy individuals with more private lives. I wondered what their lives were like. I noticed that near the beach, there would be lines of cars parked along the road. One would be a Jaguar, the next a 15 year old Ford Aerostar van, then a Mercedes, followed by a pickup truck. I notice a Porsche competing for a coveted parking space with a 1980's Toyota. The Toyota won out.

It seems the beach is the great equalizer. I'm sure there are many wealthy people in Malibu who have private beach access and don't have to compete for a parking space, but for many others their money and status don't help. They have to line up with all the others. I thought of what Peter said in Acts 10: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right. You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all." I was reminded that the wealthy celebreties and entrepreneurs of Malibu need Jesus every bit as much as you and I, and that the homeless man sitting on the bench by the beach was loved by God every bit as much as any celebrity.

We need to remember that as members of the body of Christ. God doesn't love only those who love and serve him. He doesn't love only those who look, talk, act or think the way we do. He loves them all and wants thm all to receive his grace by faith. We should try to do everything we can to reach anyone with whom we have a relationship, whether rich or poor, black, white, brown or yellow. God is no respectere of persons. Just like the parking spots in Malibu.

Here's a map of today's ride. Tomorrow's ride is short, only 47 miles to Huntington Beach. I'm thankful. I can sleep in for a change. Please say a special prayer for my riding in the city. There are so many more dangers. I need all the prayers I can get.

God's love, mercy, peace, hope and joy be with you all. You are precious to me. Above all you,Diana. Elijah, congrats on your first swim lesson. My, how you are growing up! MaryBeth, take good care of yourself and baby Seth. I love you all. God bless.

No comments: