Search This Blog

Friday, June 6, 2008

For Joy and Life


Last January I attended the LCMS "Megachurch" Pastor's Conference and had the opportunity to share dinner with Rev. Gerry Kieschnick, Presdent of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. The subject of my sabbatical came up and he asked what I planned to do. When I told him I was riding my bike from Candada to Mexico his reaction was immediate and strong. "WHY???" I suppose my answer was a little flip. "Because I can." It got me to thinking, however, about why I was planning to do something so unusual.

Diana and I first visited California in 1999 after our best friends moved there. We rented a car and drove US 1, the Pacific Coast Highway from Monterey to Cambria. As we were driving up Big Sur I remember seeing a bicyclist riding up that 1000 foot climb. I remarked to Diana, "How can anyone do that?" Now, nine years later I'm preparing to ride that same road for the second time, as a part of my sabbatical ride from Canada to Mexico. There's a tremedous sense of accomplishment to being able to undertake such a feat. So, yes, I'm doing this ride because I can. But I'm also doing it for the joy of it. I love to ride my bike. I love seeing the beauty of God's creation close up and at a pace you can enjoy. I love the great feeling that the physical exercise of riding many miles gives. Now, don't get me wrong. I realize it won't all be joy. I'm sure there will be rainy days when I don't particularly enjoy riding. I'm sure there will be days when I'm tired and sore and don't feel like riding. So what will keep me going? It's the other reason I'm riding.

Because of the wonderful people at Our Savior, I have been able to raise almost $9,000 for a cause that I feel very passionate about. The picture above shows me wearing my new 2008 Ride4US jersey and shorts. This all volunteer local charity began as the vision of one man, Diego Wendt, and in four years has grown to involve hundreds of volnteers and has raised well over $100,000 to purchase ultrasound machines for CareNet Crisis Pregnancy Centers. The vast majority of women who are able to see their child on an ultrasound choose life. As the father of two adopted daughters I thank God that their birth mothers chose life, and want as many other women as possible to see the reality of the child in their womb and make the same choice. In my fund raising I specificaly asked people to pledge per mile, knowing that the fact that I was being "paid" to ride for the sake of life would keep me going on the hard days. Each day I will carry the names of those who have pledged for my ride with me, along with the amount of money raised that day. I will be praying for my sponsors each day, and asking God to give me strength to glorify him. I will also be looking for opportunities to tell other people why I'm riding and to share my faith in the God who considered life so precious that he gave his one and only Son to die on the cross for our sins, so that we could be right with him for all eternity.

So why am I spending three weeks riding my bike from border to border? Yes, I'm doing it because I can (thank God!), but even more I'm doing it for the joy of it, and most of all for the sake of life. To God be the glory!

No comments: