Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Flying Low and Flying the Flag

Today's ride started with a five mile trip south to the coast from the hotel. It was a wonderful quiet ride on deserted streets down to the Pacific Coast Highway. Almost as soon as I turned onto Highway 1 I caught the wheel of a local cyclist. (That's cyclist speak for riding closely behind him in his draft). With his permission he "pulled" me for almost 20 miles He was strong and fast, and most of the time we were doing 20-23 mph. I felt like I was fying. It was wonderful to tick off so many miles so quickly.

After he turned off to ride the beach path home, I stopped for a Starbucks, then rode on through Laguna Beach, and Dana Point to San Clemente, CA. The riding was easy. Traffic was light. Most of the time there was a nice bike lane. What a change from yesterday! I still felt like I was flying even without the pull. This "self-portrait" expresses how I felt about today's ride, compared to yesterday.


When the road ended at San Clemente, I got on a bike path that led south parallel to I-5. I was very thankful not to have to ride the shoulder of I-5, as the book I researched the ride in said I might. The path led to a state park. That was great riding with only a few cars at a slow speed. At the end of the state park you entered a narrow opening onto a bike path that looked as though it had been striped along the side of a landing strip or runway. I believe it may see occasional use by the Marines.

Finally, after going through a dark, narrow tunnel under I-5 I entered the north gate at Camp Pendleton. The Marine who greeted me at the gate was very nice. He asked where I'd come from and when I told him "Canada" we started chatting. Soon, however another vehicle pulled up behind me, so after a quick look at my driver's license I was waved onto to the camp roads.

I felt that it was a great honor to be able to ride through Camp Pendleton. Here, some of America's finest young men train to serve our country and defend our freedoms. I was choked up at the thought that some of those men who had trained here in just the past few years, had already given their lives to keep us secure from terrorism. As I rode past huge tent cities, obstacle courses, firing ranges, and on-base housing, I thought of the sacrifices they and their families make to serve our country and I thanked God that there are men and women who were willing to do that. I wished that I had an American flag to fly from my bike, to say "thank you" to those Marines, but the best I could do was a red, white and blue dew rag on my head.

The miles through Camp Pendleton went quickly, and before I knew it I was winding my way through the streets of Oceanside in order to get to the Hotel. It had been a fast, easy delightful ride on a gloriously sunny day, with a breezy tailwind, and I truly thanked God for it. What a contrast to yesterday.

This morning in the motel in Huntington Beach as we were getting ready for the day, Tom and I listened to the Lutheran Hour sermon. The guest pastor spoke on Matthew 10:34. "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.", Jesus said. Those seem like strange words from the one whose birth the angels heralded by saying, "Peace on earth, goodwill to men." As I rode through Camp Pendleton, I thought about how those fighting men must be ready for war in order to perserve the peace. In fact, yesterday I had seen a military man wearing a t-shirt with the latin motto saying "He who desires peace must prepare for war."

We may want to have peace in our lives here on earth, but if we boldly proclaim Jesus to be the Way, the Truth and the Life, it will not always bring peace. Many will be offended. Many will oppose such a message. Many will even seek to confine the message of the Gospel within the walls of the church. But our founding fathers did not envision a religion free society when they prevented congress from establishing a national church. Rather, they wanted everyone to be free practice and proclaim their faith. Otherwise freedom of religion and freedom of speech would not both be included in the First Amendment.

So, today as I rode through Camp Pendleton, I was not only thankful for the Marines who protect our freedom, but I was also thankful for freedom to tell others about Jesus, and I was praying that God would strengthen me to be ready to fight any battles necessary to continue fearlessly proclaiming the Gospel, so that others may have peace with God through faith in His Son.

In one way it seems this journey has been going on forever. In another way, I can hardly believe that tomorrow is my last day of riding. Tomorrow I go from Oceanside to San Diego. On the south side of San Diego I will reach the Mexican border. Tom and will snap a picture, we'll put the bike in the car and turn around to drive home. WOW! But before that, I still have to finish tomorrow's ride. Here's a map of the last ride of my journey.


Thank you again for all your prayers. Please keep them up, not just for the ride tomorrow, but for a safe return home. We probably won't be back before July 3rd, so we need your continued intercession for safety on the road. I'll try to post another blog tomorrow sometime, and a follow up with some statistics and thoughts. I've thought about keeping the blog going throughout the sabbatical, but I won't make any promises right now.

Hope you all had a blessed Sunday with Our Lord. May his peace be with you, regardless of the circumstances in your life. Can't wait to see you again, Rebekah and Elijah. Hang in there, MaryBeth and William. We'll be there in three weeks. See you tomorrow, Diana. My love to all of you, and to God's people at OSLC.

2 comments:

Joel said...

By now you are well on your way to the Mexico border. I have been reading posts along the way and it sound like you have settled into a comfortable rhythym.
thanks for the daily reminders of Gods Grace and reflections on your adventures.

keep the rubber side down,
Joel

Unknown said...

Hi Pastor Bob,

I've been following your ride occasionally from here in Indonesia. Congrats. on making it to the border! What an amazing journey.

God bless,

Jeff P.