Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

God's Plans and Ours

I frequently tell people who ask me to pray for good weather that "I'm in sales not management." Once again today God clearly reminded me of that fact. Weather is one of God's ways to remind us that we are not in control. Today, I made the biggest weather mistake of all - I believed the forecast. I got up and checked the weather forecast for Shelton. 44 degrees (brrrrr!), with a WSW wind at 10 mph (a headwind for most of today's ride), but overcast with no rain. The forecast was the same for Long Beach. I dressed warmly and got on the bike early since I had over 100 miles to ride today. Within five miles of Shelton it was pouring rain. Within a few minutes I was soaking wet and freezing cold. I felt like a drowned rat in the Arctic Ocean! By the time I got to the first rest stop, I was nearing hypothermia. My hands were so numb I could barely use my cell phone to call Diana. I was shivering uncontrollably. Needless to say, I was in trouble. Diana came and got me in the car, wrapped a blanket around me and turned the heater on blast. As we drove on to the next town of any size I gradually warmed up. When we got there I changed into dry clothes, but all my cold and wet weather riding gear was already dirty and soaking wet. We decided to stop at a local diner and have brunch, then we made a trip to the laundromat.

That's me taking gear out of the washer to put in the dryer. Since much of my riding time was already shot, Diana and I toured a local carriage museum, then I got redressed in dry gear and got back on the bike and rode the rest of the way to Long Beach.

Someone has said, "If you want to make God smile just tell him your plans." Obviously, God's plan for the first few days of this adventure was not the same as my plan. But God has promised us in his word, "I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" (Jeremiah 29:11) Today it was easy to see what God's plans were for our day. He wanted me off the road and spending some quality time with my wife. We had been pushing so hard to get ready before the trip, and for the first couple of days of our journey, that we hadn't even enjoyed being together. No I didn't get to ride all of the miles I planned for today, but God knew what was right for me to ride today. It's disappointing to me that on two of the first three days, things did not go as planned, but we have to trust that God's plans are best.

Sometimes it's easy to see the good that God plans to bring out of a change of plans in our lives. That was the case today. Even though I was miserable when cold and wet on the bike, God brought a good day out of it for Diana and me. Other times, it's very difficult - even impossible - to see how God's plans for us are good, especially if they involve great suffering or loss. Yesterday I got a prayer request for one of our member's whose son was seriously injured in an automobile accident. His friend died. Trying to see God's good plan in such circumstances is almost impossible. It's then that we have to trust that the God who loved us so much that he did not spare his own Son, will surely give us all good things along with him (Romans 8:32).

I have faith that God is with me, even though he has modified my plans thus far, and I will continue to trust in him as I embark on another day's ride tomorrow. Thursday, my plan is to ride the bridge to Astoria over the Columbia River, then continue south along the Oregon coast to Tillamook. We'll see what God has planned. Here's a screen shot of tomorrow's ride. 81 miles are planned, including one of two tunnels on the Pacific Coast Highway. I plan to have Diana meet me there, and follow me through the tunnel with her flashers on. Otherwise, Diana's been having a ball frequenting museums, antique shops, and many other points of interest. She's been busy taking picutres and having a fun time. Why is she having more fun than me? Because she didn't have any plans. So much for the wisdom of planning. God bless you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear Papa and Nana,
i miss U all day. I was a good boy in kindercats today.Did you eat the who cheeseburger papa? I am trying to eat for a belly like you for a big boy. Can I see pictures of nana can yo still tell me my bert story papa? i love you
Elijah Leland Nordlie