Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Junuary!

Early this morning I received Tim Ihssen's email to the Our Savior Youth. The word for the week was "Junuary". That's exactly what we had in Port Townsend this morning. The temperature was 44 degrees as I was setting up my bike, and I could see my breath! It was also raining steadily and continued to rain for three hours.

Yesterday, someone asked me how far I could go on a cheeseburger. I told him that I could probably go farther on a cheeseburger than he could on a gallon of gas, and for less money! When I got the the junction of Highway 20 and 101 south of Port Townsend I saw the ultimate cheeseburger. I'll bet I could go all the way to Mexico on that one!

As the day progressed the rain eased up and the showers were mixed with little sun breaks. Because of all the layers of clothes I had to wear, and the rain, as well as over 4000 feet of climbing, it took longer than expected to get to Shelton. Here's a profile of today's ride. The big climb in the middle is Mount Walker. The climb was 700 feet and five miles long, so it wasn't too steep, but a long grind anyway.

The following map is a screen shot of tomorrow's ride. It's a long one, with a very hilly stretch between Montesano and Raymond.


At this point my old faithful Giant OCR1 (my "rain" bike) is dirtier than it's ever been, but from the looks of the weather report it will probably be at least one more day before I break out the Madone.

Diana's been having fun along the way collecting post cards and stopping at the visitor center for the Olympic National Forest. It's late and I'm tired and need an early start, so that's all for tonight. God be with you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob. George here. Just wanted to let you know that the Board of Discipleship met tonight and we were praying for your safety and that God would give you a tail wind for the rest of your ride!!!