Search This Blog

Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Belated Anniversary Present

Yesterday's ride was the hardest 78 miles I have ever ridden. I told Diana that our anniversary present would be no alarm. I slept till nearly 9 AM. I was exhausted. We got up and had breakfast in the room and took our time getting ready to head out. We didn't leave the historic Mendocino Hotel until almost noon.

I'm sure this was God's plan, because the 97 miles I had planned to ride would have been impossible. I rode the California coast from Monterey to Cambria in 2005, but I had never ridden the Shoreline Drive of the North Coast. They are completely different. On the central coast they have "high" brdges over the rivers and creeks that flow into the ocean, so you don't have to go all the way down to sea level every time you cross one. On the north coast the old, short bridges at sea level are in place, which means you have to descend right down to the ocean and climb back up to over 400 feet every time. It's difficult, demanding, and dangerous. Thank the Lord he wanted us to enjoy each other on the morning after our anniverary. If I would have followed my original plan it would have been a disaster.

We drove down the coast to the historic Fort Ross, an original Russian colony in California. While Diana looked around I got ready to ride. I got on the bike and rode the rest of the way to Bodega Bay, where we stayed the night. Diana caught this shot of me in action, climbing one of the many hills along the way.


This trip has taught me the importance of planning, and the importance of being willing and able to modify plans as necessary. Someytimes it's important to stick with a plan, even when it's hard. But there are times when you have to modify plans or face utter failure. When my "backside blues" began I could have tried to force the issue and forge ahead. Had I done that I probably would have developed saddle sores that would have made it impossible for me to continue at all. Instead I shortened a couple of days and have been able to go on.

Both planning and flexibility with plans are important in our personal lives, in our jobs and for the church. But we always have to trust God. James reminds us: "Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." (James 4:13-15)

Tomorrow's plan is to ride from Bodega Bay to San Francisco. We'll see what God has planned. God be with you all. We love and miss you. We are blessed by God with great joy in our journey, and a great adventure of faith.

No comments: