Search This Blog

Monday, June 16, 2008

Flirting with Disaster

Every day is a new adventure. I've found after eight days on the bike that I'm frequently bringing to mind new scenarios of how I might end up in a wreck. Sometimes its the rock in the road that you fail to avoid, the pothole you didn't see, the close brush with a logging truck going 60 mph, or a crosswind that almost pushes you over, but there's always something to remind you that life is a precious gift that could be lost at any moment. I am so thankful for your prayers for my safety. I know they have been effective, because there have been many close calls.

I spotted a couple of other things along the way that made me think about wrecks. It's easy to make a wreck of our lives when we're where we shouldn't be. Like this old boat. David found that out. In the spring of the year when Kings go off to war with their armies he stayed back at the palace and wound up committing adultery with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11:1).

Another way we can make a wreck of our lives is when we just give up on our faith. I saw this boat today, that someone just gave up on. Peter urges us to add to our faith so that we will not become ineffective and unproductive. (2 Peter 1:5-8)

I realize that to keep from making a wreck of this ride, I not only need the prayers of God's people, but I also have to ride in a state of constant alertness. I also have to take special care since I don't know the roads I'm riding. Although I love a full out descent, I only allowed myself one today, when I was on new pavement and could see the road straight ahead to the bottom of the hill, and knew that it was sheltered from the wind on both sides. I hit 42 MPH. FUN!

Today's ride was a rest day--only 55 miles--just four hours on the bike. Tomorrow's planned ride is 97 miles. I am tired tonight and know that I will need God's help and strength to make it. Please pray for me. Here's the map for tomorrow.


Happy Birthday, MaryBeth! We love you. God's blessings to all of you in our family, and to all of our family at Our Savior. Good night.

No comments: