Search This Blog

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sandboxes

Today's ride was a fun one. The first half of the ride was a long series of "rollers," hills where you roll down one side so fast that you almost don't have to pedal up the next. The early miles literally rolled away. Then we got to the first significant climb of the day which ended with a tunnel. Diana followed me through but I should have had her lead and drafted her. There was a strong headwind through the tunnel. We had lunch by Sea Lion Caves, and could see hundreds of sea lions basking in the sun. Here's a shot of them.

Along the way we finally had somemone snap a picture of us together. Up to this point we've either been taking pictures of each other, or been apart and asked someone else to take a picture of one of us. I happened to come upon Diana parked at a viewpoint and we got this snapshot.

The second half of today's ride was spent in the Oregon Dunes National Seashore. It reminded me alot of Michigan where I grew up with the huge sand dunes on Lake Michigan. I was continually being passed by people with their "toys." ATV's, 4X4 Jeeps, Dune buggys, you name it and people had it. I was reminded of how much fun it was to play in the sand box as a boy. Guess what? God is the originator of the sand box -- and on a grander scale than we could ever imagine. I believe God created places like the Oregon dunes simply because he delights in our pleasure!

Today's ride ended with a long climb. It seemed higher than it was, probably because I was more tired today. Here's a profile of today's ride. 4842 feet vertical gain. That's a lot of climbing, but not nearly the most I will have during the ride.

Finally here's a map of tomorrow's ride to Port Orford. Another 75 mile day.

We are praying daily for all our family. We love and miss you all -- in Michigan, Indiana, Texas and at OSLC. Please continue to pray for healing for Tom Peter's and for safety for Tammy Peters in Swaziland. Pray for MaryBeth's safe return to Houston after the wedding in Chicago, and for Rebekah and Elijah, as Rebekah has to work this weekend. Elijah, keep the comments coming. Papa loves them. God bless and keep you.

1 comment:

John S said...

I'm on your blogger wheel. Not the same as actually drafting off you, but your blogs put me there and I am thankful for you writing them. Now that school is out and CJ has graduated, I finally have a spare minute to check your blog. Despite the fact it is 1:12 in the morning, I am enjoying reading your updates. It sounds so exciting, yet so scary too. I pray all your obstacles are close calls and you make it through each day safely. What an amazing adventure. So wish I was riding along side you. I will continue to follow your journey and pray my friend. I am with you in spirit. I am afraid of how strong you will be when you return. I better get myself in shape or I will pay later.

Bless you and ride strong in Him my friend,

John