Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

Unsearchable Wisdom

When I first began to cycle seriously about six years ago, I thought it was just a matter of hopping on my bike and riding farther than I had before. I learned quickly that there was a whole lot more to endurance cycling or bicycle racing. It begins with a modern, lightweight road bike, but that's only the beginning. There's clothing, cycling computers, helmets and shoes. Then you need to learn about training techniques like using a fluid trainer or riding intervals, then comes understanding cadence, riding in a peloton, forming an echelon, and on and on.

Most subjects go deeper than we think they do initially. There's a lot more to learn about most areas of expertise than a person can master in a few hours, days, months or even years. And of all possible subjects, that is more true of theology than any other.

In Romans 11:33 Paul writes: "Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!" There are many, many things about God that we will never fully comprehend. There are ways of God's working that simply don't make any sense to us at all. There are mysteries in God's revelation that are too deep for us to fathom. This shouldn't surprise us.

The God who created light simply by speaking the photons into existence is more powerful than we could ever imagine. The God who wrote the information that defines life into the neucleus of every living cell is wiser than we could ever contemplate. And that's a good thing. I often tell people that I'm thankful to worship and serve a God who is incomprehensibly greater than me. If I could wrap my brain all the way around the God of the universe this would be a frightening universe indeed. Just imagine if the Sorvereign Lord of all Creation were so simple and straightforward that I could completely understand his wisdom and ways. Creation would be under the direction of One no smarter than I am. Now that's a frightening thought!

No comments: