Search This Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Two Purposes

When I get on my bike, I can ride in one of two ways. Most of the time I ride for fitness. That means I try to do at least 20 miles at no less than 15 miles per hour. I push hard and try to keep my heart rate up around 135 average for more than an hour. But sometimes I ride for a totally different reason. I ride for the pure pleasure of being on my bike. I slow down. I notice the scenery. I don't push myself. I stop when I feel like it. These occasional pleasure rides are a wonderful change of pace from the way I normally ride, and I enjoy them immensely. It's great to remember that my bike has more than one purpose.

In 2 Timothy 3, Paul tells us that the Bible has more than one purpose as well. "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Tim. 3:14-17)

As you read those verses you may think there are many, many purposes for Scripture mentioned by Paul, but there are basically only two. The first and most important purpose of God's Word is "to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." The Bible was written to bring us to faith so that we can be saved by grace and have the free gift of eternal life. This is called justification, being made right with God through faith in Jesus.

The second purpose of God's Word is "teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." God gives us His Word so that we can become like Christ, and do the good works that he prepared for us to do. This is called sanctification, becoming holy like Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit at work in us through God's Word.

Both of these purposes are vitally important to us. Without justification, we would be lost forever, condemned to spend eternity in hell apart from God. Without sanctification we would be helpless to serve God, love others, do God's will and bring Him glory. That's why the two always go together. If you are truly justified then you are in the process of being sanctified. And you can't be sanctified unless you have first been justified.

Why is the Bible able to accomplish both of these purposes? Because it is "God-breathed." God spoke His very Word into the hearts and minds of the prophets and apostles he used to write the Bible. He gave them the very words he wanted to communicate to us. That's why Scripture is alive and active, God's Holy Spirit always at work through it to both justify and sanctify.

So the next time you pick up your Bible remember that God wants to use it in two ways. To strengthen your faith in your Savior Jesus and to equip you to do His work. You will be blessed!

No comments: