Search This Blog

Sunday, October 11, 2015

40 Years of Ministry Grace

This morning the congregation that I presently serve as a part-time assistant pastor chose to recognize my 40th Anniversary in the pastoral ministry.  I was honored.  I was humbled. I was amazed.  I was saddened.

I was honored because it is an honor to serve as a pastor.  To bear the Word of God and administer Christ's Sacraments to the people of God is the highest honor any man could ever attain.  No one is worthy of such an honor, I least of all.  When I think of the miserable thoughts that have filled my brain, the hurtful words that have crossed my lips, and the multiple failures that have marked my sin-scarred life, I am amazed that God could use a sinner such as me.  It is truly a miracle of His grace!

I was humbled to think of the lives God has touched and the people He has blessed through me.  I was so ill-prepared when I first began my pastoral ministry in Sterling, IL.  I knew so little but thought I knew so much, it's a testimony to His power and grace that God was able to use me.  But He did, in spite of me.

I was amazed because there was a time when I never thought I would make it to a lifetime of ministry.  When my dreams for a particular ministry fell apart while serving in Hillside, IL, I wasn't sure I wanted to continue in ministry.  But God wanted me to, and He continued to work through me. When I was attacked and accused in Wayzata, MN I didn't think I would be able to carry on.  Amazingly, when I threw myself on the mercy of God, His strength was enough and He kept on using me.  When He gave me wonderful new opportunity for ministry in Tacoma, WA, I was amazed that the joy of serving in pastoral ministry returned as He continued to use me.

I was also saddened today that my life-long partner in ministry was not by my side.  I could never have become a pastor or served successfully in ministry without Diana.  It was very hard to greet God's people today as they congratulated me on my milestone without her by my side.  Yet, I realized that this was God's plan as well.  It was His plan for me to leave full-time ministry and serve part-time before her illness. It was God's plan for me to serve at Concordia, so that when Diana needed me most, I could be her full time caregiver, since there were several other pastors on staff to carry the ministry load.  And it was God's plan to have me return to active ministry now, after her passing, as a part of my healing and grief recovery.

I have no idea what the future holds.  What is clear to me is this.  God has directed my path every step of the way thus far.  I know that whatever lies ahead He will be with me.  I pray that I have many more opportunities to be honored, humbled and amazed to serve in ministry in the years ahead.

Thank you, LORD, for your grace and your faithfulness.  To You alone be the glory!  Amen.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love this, Pastor Bob! We were hugely encouraged by your shepherding and ministry at OSLC. You continue to set a beautiful example for those of us who strive for a lifetime of ministry as lay people. All praise and glory to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ for HIS goodness in using us, a bunch of cracked pots! ;-) We love you! -The Bangsunds