Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

Grateful

"But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith." Philippians 3:7-9

This is Thanksgiving week. It's time to count our blessings and thank our God for them. Traditionally this has meant thankfulness for the harvest, for food and shelter, for the necessities of life that God so graciously provides, almost always beyond our needs. Through the years as we Americans have gotten fatter and happier, it's meant less thanksgiving and more celebrating with feasting and football.

In Philippians 3 Paul puts things in perspective for us. For the sake of Christ Paul suffered the loss of everything, ultimately even his life, and never regretted it. He counted every earthly benefit as rubbish for the sake of knowing Jesus and being right with God through faith in him.

I wish I could honestly say I've reached that point of spiritual maturity. If forced to choose between Christ and the comforts of this life, I believe that by the grace of God and the power of the Holy Spirit I would make the right choice. But since I'm not in that position, I have to confess that I still enjoy the many earthly blessing that God so graciously showers on me.

So as Thanksgiving approaches I will thank God for the beautiful and conformtable home that I live in. I will thank Him that it's in a nice warm climate where I can enjoy riding my fabulous road bike almost any day of the year. I will thank Him for hills to climb and descents to race down, and for good food to fuel up on after a long, hard ride.

But as I give thanks this year I will especially give thanks for my family. For a beautiful wife I've been privileged to love for a lifetime. For a daughter who is studying hard in pursuit of a career and a future for herself and her son. For another daughter who is working to teach immigrants about English and life in America. For a hardworking son-in-law who loves his wife and son. And especially for two handsome, happy, healthy grandsons whom I have been privileged to love all of their short lives and who bring me great joy every day.

And while I'm at it, I will also give thanks for the privilege of continuing in ministry, preaching and teaching God's Word to God's people without all the pressure of full-time ministry as a Senior Pastor.

Above all I am thankful for my Savior. For the righteousness of faith that He has bestowed on me through His perfect life, His willing sacrifice, and His glorious resurrection. I am thankful that because of Him I have the hope of heaven.

This Thanksgiving week I'm particularly thankful for my family. I am thankful that I can serve my family in love each day. I am thankful that I can seek to be a Christ-like example to them. I am thankful that I can pour the love of Jesus into their lives both through my words and actions. I am thankful too, that I can breathe the grace of God into the lives of God's people at Concordia as I share God's Word. I am thankful for God's forgiveness when I fall short, as I frequently do.

Yes, this Thanksgiving week I will take time to thank God that I am blessed beyond measure! No response could ever be adequate, so, what can I say, but "Thank you, dear Lord!"

No comments: