Search This Blog

Friday, June 11, 2010

Got to Tell Somebody!

If you've read my blog you've probably seen the picture at the bottom of the page. It's a picture of the fantastic bike that I ride as often as possible. It'a bike I could have never hoped to own. That 2008 Trek Madone 6.5 is a VERY expensive bike. It was a gift from my congregation in Tacoma, WA. I continually tell people about this gift. It's one of the greatest gifts I've ever received in my whole life. Totally unexpected. Totally over the top. Totally wonderful to enjoy for many, many years. I just can't keep it to myself.

Matthew 9 tells us about a number of people who experienced that same sort of gift from Jesus, one they just couldn't keep quiet about. "When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to men." (v. 8) "After the crowd had been put outside, he went in and took the girl by the hand, and she got up. News of this spread through all that region." (vv. 25-26) "Jesus warned them sternly, 'See that no one knows about this.' But they went out and spread the news about him all over that region." (vv. 30-31) "And when the demon was driven out, the man who had been mute spoke. The crowd was amazed and said, "Nothing like this has ever been seen in Israel." (v. 33)

Notice in particular how Jesus warned the blind men not to say anything, but they couldn't help themselves. It's actually in Mark's Gospel that we learn that Jesus instructed Jairus and his wife not to say anthing about their daughter being raised from the dead. (Mark 5:43) He gave them "strict orders" not to let anyone know about this. Yet Matthew tells us "News of this spread through all that region." They couldn't help themselves.

For years I've loved a song by Don Francisco that tells the story of the raising of Jairus' daughter. At the end of the song is this passionate chorus, sung over and over again.

I got to tell somebody, I got tell somebody
I got to tell somebody, what Jesus did for me...

You know he gave me life when my hope was dead
When there was grief he brought joy instead
I got to tell somebody, what Jesus did for me...

I think it captures beautifully what Jairus and his wife must have felt. They couldn't help themselves. They just had to tell somebody what Jesus did for them.

I hope that the same is true for you and me. I hope that we cannot help but tell others what Jesus has done for us. I hope that we display his grace in our lives to others over and over again. Because there is no greater gift than the grace of God in Christ Jesus our Lord!

No comments: