Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Greater by Far

Most group charity bicycle rides are on Sunday. Before I retired, therefore, I had to choose carefully which rides I would participate in. Generally I chose one ride per year to be away from my job as pastor, in order to pursue my passion as a cyclist. Actually, I was pursuing my greater passion every Sunday by preaching and teaching. Nevertheless, I would sometimes joke with people that I needed to get a better "union" because as a pastor I had to work every weekend and every holiday. "There's something wrong with this picture," I would quip. Actually, I felt privileged to proclaim the Good News for a living, and still do! There is nothing greater than being able to spend your full time studying God's Word and sharing it with other people. So even though I worked on Sunday, it was never really "work" to me.

When He was questioned about healing on the Sabbath, in Matthew 12, Jesus used the example of the priests who regularly violated the Sabbath by working, offering sacrifices on behalf of God's people at the Temple. Jesus went on to say: "I tell you that one greater than the temple is here." By this Jesus meant that His sacrifice was greater than the sacrifices offered by the priests at the temple.

That wasn't Jesus' only reference to something greater in this chapter. Later on Jesus chastised the Pharisees for demanding a sign. He told them that the only sign they would receive would be the sign of Jonah, who spent three days in the belly of the fish and came out alive. Jesus said: "now one greater than Jonah is here." By this Jesus meant that his death and resurrection would be a much greater sign than Jonah's rescue by God.

In addition, Jesus chastened the unrepentant people of his generation, stating that even the Queen of Sheba would condemn them, since she sought out the wisdom of Solomon. Then Jesus added: "and now one greater than Solomon is here." By this Jesus meant that those unrepentant people should listen to his wisdom, which was greater by far than Solomon's. In fact, Paul said in Colossians 2:3 that in Christ "are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

Why did Jesus state that in each of these cases one greater than the former example was there? I believe Jesus was claiming His threefold office of Prophet (One greater than Jonah), Priest (one greater than the temple), and King (one greater than Solomon). As our Savior and Lord Jesus fulfills each of these roles crucial to our salvation. As our Prophets Jesus speaks the True Word of God to us. As priest, Jesus offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for all our sins. As our King, Jesus rules at the right hand of God, governing all things for the sake of His Body, the Church. Thank God for our great Redeemer Jesus! He is greater by far than all, just as it's greater as a pastor to "work" on Sunday than the ride your bike.

No comments: