Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Yes Means Yes!

A couple months ago I came home after a ride and realized that my rear wheel was out of true. The next day I took the wheel into the Trek dealer. I expected to pay to have the wheel trued. The mechanic took it back into the shop for a closer look. He came back out and said that the wheel had a crack in it. "Oh great! Another cracked wheel needing to be replaced for a couple hundred dollars! Wonderful!", I thought angrily.

I fully expected to have to pay for the wheel. The bike was over two years old with more than 3000 miles on it. The wheels had already been replaced once under warranty, so I steeled myself to ask how much a new rear wheel would cost me. Then the mechanic said, "We'll get you a new wheel under warranty." But the warranty was up. Only the frame had a lifetime warranty, not components like wheels. How could that be? "Wow, great! Uh, thanks!", I managed to say gratefully. What a surprise! A few days later I had my new wheel, in fact it was a 2010 model wheel with a different spoke pattern to prevent it from cracking again, like the old one had.

When a company goes above and beyond to honor their warranty it's a surprise. We're used to having people and companies break their promises. So when it goes the other way, we're surprised. Not so with God. We need never be surprised that God's Word is always true and that his promises are always good. In 2 Corinthians 1:20 Paul writes: "For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. So through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God."

God has made countless promises in his Word. They began with the first promise of a Savior in Genesis 3, immediately after Adam and Eve fell into sin. In reality, however, from eternity God had a plan for our salvation that he fulfilled in Christ Jesus. Jesus is God's "Yes" to every promise he ever made. All his promises of forgiveness, peace, hope, life, grace and glory are fulfilled in Christ's coming to save us. You need never doubt any promise that God has ever made. Jesus is the proof positive that God keeps all his promises.

As I wrote these words I realized that I had never acknowledged the fact that Trek stood behind their product, so just now I went on their website and sent a "Thank You." to them. Too often we fail to acknowledge God's faithfulness in fulfilling every promise. Paul reminds us that we need to do so. Through Jesus, Paul writes, we must speak a resounding "Amen" to the glory of God for his promises kept, his Word fulfilled. Let's make sure we do that on every possible occasion. No it's not surprising that God keeps his Word. But even though it's not, we should give him glory for the "Yes" he has sent us in Jesus!

No comments: