Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

Two Good Wheels

Let me tell you about my most exciting day as a serious cyclist. I took my bike into the shop to have them look at the back wheel. I was a little concerned because it appeared to have a crack in it. The mechanic told me that over nearly 10,000 miles I had ridden so hard that the brakes had worn down the surface of the wheel and made it so thin that it was indeed beginning to crack. The wheel would have to be replaced at the expense of a couple of hundred dollars. Why would such a day be my most exciting one? Because I wore out a wheel. I actually rode so much and so hard that I wore out a wheel! Woo hoo! What would have happened had I not replaced that wheel? I probably would have crashed when the crack broke, the wheel "taco-ed" and I went down. My bike would have been worthless, because without two wheels a bike is nothing.

The cross is the most identifiable symbol of the Christian faith. When people think of Christianity they think of the cross. As believers we all thank God daily that he sent his Son into our world to die on the cross for our sins. Jesus' crucifixion was the sacrifice that paid our debt and set us free. That's what we almost always emphasize when we speak of our faith.

But Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 15 that the Christian faith is like a bicycle. It has two wheels, and one without the other is worthless. In verse 17 Paul writes: "And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins." You see, Christ's resurrection is every bit as important as his death on the cross.

If Christ died and remained in the grave, his death would not be unique. He would be one more sinner who deserved to die. But Jesus did not deserve to die. The wages of sin is death, and Jesus was without sin. He never disobeyed his Father. He never gave in to temptation. He never broke a commandment. He never sinned! How do we know that? By his resurrection! The resurrection of Christ from the dead means that his sacrifice was acceptable. He did not die in vain. And our faith is not in vain.

Most of the crosses we have on display are empty. They do not portray Jesus hanging on the cross dead. Look at the crosses you have in your house, or that you wear on a necklace. Chances are every one of them is empy. There's a good reason for that. Jesus died and rose again. If Jesus did not die his resurrection is a fake. If Jesus did not rise, his death is meaningless. But Christ did rise, the "firstfruits" of everyone who has died with faith in Jesus and will rise again to eternal life with him. So, never separate those two events. They must always go together, just like two wheels on a bicycle.

No comments: