Search This Blog

Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Training Challenge

Today is May 1, which means I've just finished my first first month of serious training for my Canada to Mexico ride. During the month of April, I logged 388 miles with my longest ride being 46 miles. Finding time to ride between the Pacific Northwest rains, full-time ministry, a new puppy, and my family (especially Elijah, my three year old grandson) is a real challenge. It's almost as hard as the training itself. Up until yesterday, I really couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I rode 32 miles yesterday, including a climb up Lake Tapps Parkway, which is a 16% grade over a mile long. Nearing the top I was feeling pretty proud of myself (grinding along at 5 MPH) that my heart rate never reached 160, when another cyclist blew by me doing about 8 MPH. So much for foolish pride! (Although I he was less than half my age.) In 1 Corinthians 9:26-27 Paul writes: "Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." Over the past four years of serious endurance cycling, I've learned there is great value in physical discipline. Making your body do things that are difficult or painful strengthens the spirit as well. It gives you a measure of self-control over your physical body that you might not otherwise have, so that the "flesh" can be reigned in. Not that bodily training is the highest value. In 1 Timothy 4:8 Paul says: "Physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." So, I'll continue to train my body, but even more, I will train my soul by the Word of God and prayer so that godliness can grow in me. Then I'll be ready for this life and the next!

No comments: