Search This Blog

Friday, May 22, 2009

The ups and downs of cycling and life

Becoming a serious cyclist while living in the Pacific Northwest has taught me a lot of things. Climbing can be very hard, but it's good for you. It makes you strong. Since 2004 when I began to ride seriously I've lived at the top of a 500 foot climb. At the end of every ride I have to make that climb if I want to get home, no matter how many miles or hills I've already ridden. Parts of that climb are a 13% grade, and my heart rate will top 160 as I grind toward the top. On the other hand, the drop down to the valley from 500 feet is thrilling, sometimes topping 45 miles per hour. While the climbs are hard, the descents are dangerous, requiring total concentration and being constantly alert. You have to pay attention to the twists and turns ahead, the pavement in front of you, your bike, the wind, any potential obstacles... a lot can go wrong on a fast descent.

As I've been navigating the route to retirement, I'v experienced a lot of ups and downs as well. Some days I'm excited about reitirng, others leave me wondering what it will be like not to be pastoring on a daily basis. Some days I'm overwhelmed by all the work of moving. Trying to sell a house and buy another in this economy is another roller coaster ride. We've had to spend a significant chunk of our retirement nest egg just getting our house in shape to sell. One day the deal is on, the next day it's up in the air again. Patience and perseverance are just as essential as they are on a long, torturous climb. But, as in most climbs there are those short flat spots where you get to rest for a moment before the road turns up again.

Today was a reminder of why I'm on this road. Elijah graduated from preschool at our Savior this morning. It was a joyful, proud, emotional moment, with my wife, Diana and daughter, Rebekah by my side. My little "Cowboy" sang about his faith and received a blessing for his future. I'm so looking forward to being able to spend more time with my family, as well as with my Texas family, MaryBeth and William and grandson, Seth, once we get down there. Perhaps that's why I'm so impatient and want things to hurry along. Being all together as a family will be such a blessing.

Right now our retirment plans are on hold, while the sale of our house is being negotiated. It seems that our move is farther off than we originally expected, but God knows best and we're trusting (at least trying to) his perfect time and plan.

I've thought about Proverbs 3:5-6 a lot. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths." Trusting in the Lord with all your heart is sometimes hard. We want to be in control. We want to figure it all out according to our plan and our timetable. However, we need to remember that our Lord knows best and that his ways are better than our ways. Whether the road ahead is an agonizing climb or an exhilarating descent we know we can trust him to see us through.

Whenever I begin a ride I pray: "Lord, I commit this ride to you. I ask you to watch over me, wrap your loving arms around me, let your holy angels be with me that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Give me strength for the climbs, and skill for the descents and bring me safely home to my family." That's a pretty good prayer for navigating the road to retirment too.

It will probably be a couple of months before I'm riding the Texas Hill Country, but by that time Lance Armstrong may be home from another Tour de France. Maybe I'll cross paths with him some morning. It's one of many things I'm looking forward to in Texas.

No comments: